Why is Chichen Itza so Special? Chichen Itza is the second most important Mayan archaeological zone. It is located in the Yucatan Peninsula and is one of the most visited places for those who want to know the Mayan culture. Since 2007 this place declared one of the seven wonders of the modern world and therefore considered a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Chichen Itza is one of those places you would like to repeat without hesitation. It is a magical place with many attractions that you will love.
It would be best if you kept in mind that it is a place that has a schedule to visit. You should be very aware, so you do not miss a full day of seeing, it has different rates for residents and foreigners.
So what makes Chichen Itza so special.
Below is a description of the sites and attractions you can find in Chichen Itza:
- The pyramid of Kukulcan: It is one of the most exciting attractions of Chichen Itza, it is the actual construction of this archaeological zone, and you will recognize it because it is a very photographed site when you see it, you will remember it immediately, it is a structure of 55 meters wide and 24 meters high. It is a great attraction for tourists who want to get to the top. As it is a very visited place, if you want a photo only with the pyramid, we recommend that you see it in the morning and on weekdays to enjoy a visit to so many agglomerations.
- Temple of the warriors: This place is the symbol of Toltec architecture; it is a place that has 40 meters of side and composed of some incredible structures.
- Square of the thousand columns: As its name indicates, this spectacular square next to the warriors’ temple is a group of 200 pillars and columns where you can marvel at its stunning structure. The square connects to the temple of the warriors and meant a significant place for the Mayas.
- The great game of ball: Who hasn’t heard of the game of ball?, this was a significant sport for the Mesoamericans, it has an extension of 120 meters long and 30 meters wide, it is the best-conserved court since there are others throughout the Mexican territory. There you can learn more about this beautiful sport and its majestic figures, reliefs, and paintings.
- Sacred Cenote: You have already heard of the sacred cenote, and this is a must if you visit Chichen Itza. It is a beautiful place very important for the Mayan culture where they made their rituals and offerings to the gods. It is a water well of 60 meters in diameter and is between 6 and 12 meters deep.
To get to Chichen Itza, you can take a bus that leaves from many Riviera Maya parts. It is 45 minutes from Valladolid, an hour and a half from Merida, and 2 hours from Cancun. The visit lasts approximately 3 hours, we recommend you to take comfortable clothes and shoes since it is a prominent place. We recommend you take precautions to take care of the sun since the temperature reaches 30 degrees.
Take a look at our different options to visit Chichen Itza.